Can't Disable the Touchpad on my UX21E Win7 64Bit

Discussion in 'Beginners Section' started by safipk, Aug 11, 2012.

1. safipk

safipk New Member

I have been trying to disable the touchpad using the function key 'fn' and the 'f9' key which is supposed to disable the touchpad, but nothing happens.

I have tried downloading a fresh driver from the nominated Asus site, but after much time waisting I get a hardware mismatch error when I try to install the driver.

I use my Zenbook for work and this problem is having a real impact on my productivity. I hope someone can help me. If I don't get this problem fixed soon, I don't think I will ever buy another Asus product of any type.

2. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

I don't have a UX21 but I'm assuming the touchpad works the same at on my UX31. Have you confirmed that your F9 key works. Could it simply be that the key itself isn't functioning? I understand your frustration. Most times I disable the touchpad and use a mouse so I wouldn't be happy if I couldn't disable it.

-JRW

3. QikSlime

QikSlime New Member

Mine (UX31A) disables just fine. Check that none of your keys are stuck. Try a reboot.

4. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

Yes goddam it! my keys work. I can see the busy thingy flash up. You cannot disable the touchpad on any Asus laptop I have ever worked with except by going to device manager and disabling it. Then it only stays disabled until a re-boot. On the Zenbook, even that does not work. How about an answer Asus? Why can't you make a computer that works right?

5. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

I am using 64 bit Windows 8.

6. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

PROBLEM SOLVED! (Windows 8 64 bit) Sentelic Touchpad now works as it is supposed to work, i.e. when the mouse is plugged in the touchpad is disabled. The Z9177 drivers work as advertised, but if you have older drivers, they don't work right.

You may already have the Z9177 drivers. If you do all you have to do is follow the instructions to enable "Mouse Detection" in your eManual . Your Zenbook has the instructions if you go to your eManual and search for touchpad. Try to follow those instructions first. if nothing happens when you click the "Configure" button, you have the older drivers. In that case use the following instructions:

Here's how I did it. Download "TouchPad_Sentelic_Win7_64_Z9177.zip" from "SEE NEXT POST". Unzip the file onto your hard (solid-state) drive. Remember where you put it. Start Control Panel | Mouse, Hardware tab. Select the correct pointing device from the list (mine said PS2 mouse, but it should say "Finger Sensing Pad"). Click on Properties button. Click the "Change Settings" button. Click the "Driver" tab. Click the "Update Driver" button. Click "Browse my computer for updated driver". If the computer does not find the updated driver, click on "Have Disk". Browse to the location where you unzipped the download and find the "fspad.inf" file; it should be in the root folder of the unzipped files. Click next and it should install and nag you to reboot. After re-boot, you go back to Control Panel, Mouse, then select the "Finger Sensing Pad" tab and the "Configure" button. You should then get a "Finger Sensing Pad Configurator" window with a navigation window on the left side. Select the + sign next to "Enable/Disable Pad" and its sub menu "Mouse Detection". Check the box "disable pad when external mouse is plugged it" OK out and voila`. Remember, your mileage may vary.

jmd327_Fox likes this.
  7. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

jmd327_Fox likes this.
  8. JRW-910

Congrats on your fix and thanks for posting your results. I'm sure others will appreciate the help. The Zenbook hardware is very solid but the software/drivers can cause some problems. Hopefully ASUS is continuing to develop newer and better versions.

Thanks,

-JRW

9. Carl Brady

Carl Brady New Member

My Zenbook UX31A is now an absolute delight! I have a USB compact mouse with cord reel. When it is plugged in, I can type without the cursor jumping around, and when it is not plugged in I can use the touch pad.

10. JRW-910

I am running the original Zenbook and still love it. Enjoy newly fixed ultrabook!

-JRW

11. victor creed

victor creed New Member

Me too haven't felt the need to upgrade it. Love it.