Cat says it's time for an upgrade!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by JRW-910, Nov 23, 2012.

1. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

It looks like my Zenbook at been done in by a cat! Yes, you read this correctly... a cat is responsible for my now non-functioning UX31 Zenbook. After knocking over a lamp and drink onto the unsuspecting ultrabook, it appears to be a goner. I'm going to try working with it later, but I don't have high hopes.

It seems like some of the fluid got into the cooling area near the screen. I believe that it is running but that the screen is dead. I am going to try hooking it up to an external monitor later. If that works, I'll at least be able to get my files off of it.

Anyway, it was probably time for an upgrade anyway. The original UX31 has been great, but there are better products on the market now and I'm interested in somethings else. No matter what, I will send it into ASUS to see if it can be fixed.

Now, you didn't really think that I'd go with anything besides an ASUS Zenbook did you? Of course, not!

Right now I am leaning towards a UX32VD-DB71. It features the 1080p ips screen along with the NVIDIA GeForce GT 620M discreet graphics card. The biggest complaints seem to be about battery life and the terrible 500gb 5,400rpm hybrid hard drive solution.

I will most likely upgrade the RAM to 10 GB of DDR3-1600 CL11 and drop in a 128-256GB SSD drive.

Sounds like a killer combo... any thoughts?

-JRW

2. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

... just an update!

I left the Zenbook on while I was at work for the day, and the screen was back up and running by the time I got home. I couldn't believe it.

That was over a week ago, and it's been functioning 100%. Just shows how strong and durable these bad boys really are.

Oh well, guess I'll hold off on that upgrade!

-JRW