HELP!! SSD Partitions seem wrong?!?!? only 30GB usable?!?!?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dean, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Dean

Dean New Member

Hey Folks,

Im hoping someone here can shed some light on my situation. I recently purchased the ASUS Zenbook UX31A, its a refurbished model.
    When i got it it was as new, fresh install of windows 8. However after installing the OS i seemed to only have approx 30GB of disk space available on my C drive?!
    So i know that W8 takes up more space than previous OS however when i bought a notebook with 128gb SSD i expected approx 90GB to be usable as was suggested by my research. So i think the partitions are maybe wrong?

The partitions are as follows;

300MB - Healthy (EFI System Partition)
    600MB - Healthy (Recovery Partition)
    C: 60.48GB NTFS - Healthy (Boot, Page File, Crash Dump, Primary Partition)
    30.00GB NTFS - Healthy (Primary Partition)
    4.00GB - Healthy (OEM Partition)
    20.00GB - Healthy (Recovery Partition)

So im no expert but surely the two primary partitions can be merged 60+30GB giving me an extra 30. However the C: only had 30gb usable from get go! is that normal?

I have attached a screendump of the disk management screen showing the partition set up.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Dean

Attached Files:

2. Robb Nelson

Robb Nelson New Member

Any word on this? I've just purchased the same ultrabook and am confused about the loss of space. Though the partitions in mine are slightly different than yours, I only have C: as 90gb. But I am wondering how I can access the recovery 20gb. It's already only 115gb, and has approx. 40gb of system files between the obese Win8 and Asus system crap. It's really quite a shame to have only sub 50gb of usable space left, and even that is being generous. The only alternative I have had recommended to me was to wipe and install Win7, but there are apparently several driver issues related to that route, one being USB 3 functionality.