Zenbook UX21E - Keyboard-Problems?

Discussion in 'Zenbook' started by Moriarty, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Moriarty

Moriarty New Member

Hello,

let me first introduce myself. My name ist Dennis and I'm from Germany (so please excuse my english...). I'm the owner of an ASUS Zenbook UX21E - basically a very good notebook. I have the i3-Version and still it runs all my programms like Photoshop and MS Office nearly perfect.

But there is one issue that really annoys me. The Keyboard. I bought the zenbook a few months ago and primarily used it as lightweight device for surfing and email, because I do a lot of job-related travel.

A few weeks ago I started to do more work on it and therefore write a lot more texts on this keyboard. Normally I can type very fast and without errors, but on the zenbook-keyboard all that comes out is a big crap. every third letter is missing, it all looks like: "ths i writtn on a znbok"... If you understand.

So my question: is this the way this keyboard is? Are there special drivers that improve the sensitivity? is this a known issue on the first generation zenbook?
    I went to a store and tested a zenbook prime - and the keyboard is classes better... I couldn't find another zenbook 1st Gen. anywhere, s I don't know if it is only my zenbook or a general problem...

Would be nice if someone could give me some hints on this.

Greetings
    Dennis

2. JRW-910

JRW-910 Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Dennis,

What you are experiencing is well known to owners of the 1st gen Zenbook. If you read some online reviews, most loved the Zenbook but complained about the keyboard and trackpad.

The 2nd gen Zenbook is supposed to have a much improved keyboard as you have noticed.

My advice is to use your UX21E for a while and see if you get used to it... I know I have. If not, you might be better off with the 2nd gen Zenbook.

Good luck,

-JRW

3. Moriarty

Moriarty New Member

Thank you very much for the information. So at least my zenbook isn't broken...

4. JRW-910

Nope, just wasn't the best design the first time around. Let us know how you make out.

-JRW

5. Mike Woods

Mike Woods New Member

I purchased 3 (2 for sales staff) Asus Zenbook first generation UX21E notebooks (1 I7 and 2 I5s) and have been very dissatisfied with all three. The keyboard problems are incredibly troublesome. Would I buy again? I don't think so. Asus would have to replace all three laptops for me to ever consider buying Asus again. I do have an office full of desktop computers, all with ASUS motherboards and have been happy with the desktops.

To ASUS: if you would like to make good on these computers, you can contact me on any phone number you find at the bottom of http://www.mswoods.com.

Or, contact me by mail
    Mike Woods
    msWoods Real Estate, LLC
    4111 Wythe Ln
    Indianapolis, IN 46250

6. marc

marc New Member

I have the first generation UX21, and it's completely un-useable. The trackpad jumps around all over the place, sometimes opening applications in the process.
    I called Asus, and they denied that there was even a problem, even though I'd seen hundreds of people complain about it in the net (their response was "Oh you can't believe everything you read in the net..."
    Anyway - I will never buy anything made by Asus again. This might be a slick looking machine, but that's all it is, and I feel that Asus themselves are conning people by denying that there was even an issue with the trackpad.
    Hello Asus? Read all these forums! *your* *trackpad* *does* *not* *work*

7. JRW-910

I don't have a UX21 but I can't believe that the trackpad is overly different then the one n the UX31. Have you tried downloading the latest drivers? I have read that the new software can make a huge difference.

-JRW

8. paul

paul New Member

Zenbooks Ultrabooks keyboard fix or no power on fix. The following is a fix for models other than prime but include all first and later gens, ux21 ux31. The known keyboard issue that causes problems talked about here and including no power on can be fixed by watching a video and installing some parts . Its very easy and I have repaired several using this part and all have been stable and dependable for a long time and some had track pad issues too.
    The fix for this is on ebay , item #221254626997 just read the description it explains why this happens and how to fix it for 32.00 (or search Ebay for "zenbook ultrabook keyboard repair kit") The seller is hobbytoyz.
    Asus has no solution at this time because the problem is faulty ribbon wire connectors holding clips. The ribbon wire connector is faulty and permanently mounted to the mother board. Asus tried to fix it by holding the ribbon with tape but any tape will get hot and work loose within a week or so as many have discovered. the only solution is a new connector ( new motherboard with a new connector that does not exist) or the fix on ebay . it is some tiny well designed clips made from static free temp stable material that holds the original clips in place. I am writing this on a ux31 that was fixed this way several months ago and it works great.

9. JRW-910

Information from the ebay auction:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-zenbook-ultra-book-keyboard-repair-kit-/221254626997

Good luck everyone!

-JRW